Oral cancer is the sixth most common cancer, accounting for nearly 5 percent of all cases. Close to 53,000 Americans are expected to be diagnosed with oral or pharyngeal cancer this year. It is expected to cause more than 9,750 deaths, killing roughly 1 person per hour, 24 hours per day, according to The Oral Cancer Foundation.
Although it's an uncommon type of cancer, it is a devastating disease because it is often detected at an advance stage. Patients often go through major surgeries, leaving them disfigured.
General dentists should play a critical role in the fight against oral cancer by offering routine oral cancer screenings to all patients. This can help detect potentially cancerous lesions earlier, improving health outcomes.
The AGD Foundation is committed to fighting oral cancer. The following resources are here to help you learn more about screening for oral cancer and supporting your patients.
AGD Foundation Oral Cancer Examination
AGD Foundation Oral HPV Cancer
A.T. Still University on the HPV Vaccine
A.T. Still University on HPV
A.T. Still University on Oral Cancer Screenings
A.T. Still University on Oral Cancer
These videos were produced by A.T. Still University Dental School with a grant from the AGD Foundation Grant Program.
Oral Cancer Prevention and Detection Tips
- Visit your general dentist twice a year
- Ask your dentist to perform an oral cancer exam and to evaluate abnormalities
- Abstain from using all forms of tobacco
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that all preteen boys and girls ages 11 to 12 be vaccinated for Human Papillomavirus (HPV)
- Disclose your medical history to your dentist – including sexually transmitted diseases
- Avoid alcohol use
- If you notice abnormal growths, discoloration, tenderness, or bleeding contact your dentist right away.
Shareable Oral Cancer Facts
1. Click the image you would like to use below.
2. Right click and save the image to your phone or computer.
3. Share on the social media platform of your choice. (i.e. Facebook or Instagram)
4. Add a caption from below or create your own.
Over 53,000 People are Diagnosed with Oral Cancer Per Year
Early Detection is Key
Sample Captions for Social Sharing
Copy and paste the caption of your choice to go along with one of our shareable facts above! Be sure to use the hashtags!
- Be sure to visit your general dentist for regular check-ups to stay on top of the signs for oral cancer. #oralcancerawareness #agd #getscreened
- An oral cancer screening should be done at your dentist at every visit. Early detection is key. #oralcancerawareness #agd #getscreened
- Please visit your general dentist for routine oral cancer screenings to maintain a healthy mouth and a healthy life. #oralcancerawareness #agd #getscreened
- Early detection of oral cancer facilitates early treatment and can lead to better outcomes and survival rates. For this reason, it is very important to receive annual screenings even if you are not having any symptoms! #oralcancerawareness #agd #getscreened
- Your general dentist can detect the disease early. They are the first line of defense against oral cancer. #oralcancerawareness #agd #getscreened