Dentists Will Savor the Culture of Continuing Education and Achievement at Academy of General Dentistry’s Scientific Session
The Academy of General Dentistry (AGD) is headed to New Orleans for its annual scientific session and expects 3,000 attendees to attend. The event, which will be held June 7 through 9, boast a course schedule of highly rated speakers presenting advanced-level hands-on courses and clinical lectures featuring live patient demonstrations. It is one of the most sought after continuing education programs for general dentists who seek to stay apprised of best practices in dentistry.
This year’s keynote speaker Dennis P. Tarnow, DDS, will examine the progression of dentistry over the years during “Where We Were, Where We Are and Where Are We Going.” Dr. Tarnow is a graduate of New York University College of Dentistry where he is the former chairman of the Department of Periodontics and Implant Dentistry. He currently works as a specialist in both periodontics and prosthodontics. Dr. Tarnow has written more than 100 scientific papers and has contributed to several textbooks. He is most notable for his significant contributions to the field of dentistry.
This year attendees will have an opportunity to participate in three distinct hands-on cadaver courses hosted at the state-of-the-art Louisiana State University School of Dentistry. Another interesting and convenient offering for the conference are the blended learning sessions. The blended courses will allow attendees the freedom to maximize their hands-on learning time by taking the lecture portions of select courses via a live or on-demand webinar before the meeting.
“AGD transformed my life when all I was seeking was CE. I never expected the professional success and personal growth that resulted from my association with AGD and its members,” said Dr. Manuel A. Cordero, DDS, CPH, MAGD, AGD President. “It’s much more than dental proficiency. I developed leadership and business skills that allowed me to succeed. “
After three days of courses, the AGD will celebrate members who worked tirelessly to earn an exhaustive number of CE courses achieving premier recognition. This year, 277 members will receive their Fellowship status (FAGD) after completing 500 continuing education hours. Sixty-nine members this term have achieved Mastership status (MAGD) at the completion of 1,100 cumulative continuing education hours. This year, 32 AGD members will be honored with Livelong Learning and Service Recognition. This special recognition goes to members who have achieved 500 or more continuing education credits after achieving Mastership recognition. A convocation ceremony is scheduled on Saturday, June 9, where those taking part can celebrate their accomplishment with family and friends.
2018 AGD Scientific Session Highlights:
- All of the scheduled courses will be at the Hyatt Regency New Orleans, 601 Loyola Avenue, New Orleans, LA.
- The AGD Foundation will host free oral cancer screenings at the First Grace United Methodist Church, 3401 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA.
- Full day collaborative leadership workshop designed to boast confidence and develop problem-solving skills needed to achieve excellence as a leader.
- Fundamentals from Successful Women Leaders in Organization and Business Culture, an educational session, featuring a panel of accomplished women share their insights on personal experiences with overcoming challenges to achieve success in leadership roles.
- Self-defense, cooking and yoga classes scheduled for accompanying family members.
- A free learning lab on addressing strategies by which dentists, physicians and diabetes educators can improve communication and collaboration when managing the healthcare of those living with diabetes.
- A New Dentist Lounge will be returning again for AGD 2018, with special educational and networking opportunities for individuals new to the dental profession.
- “Wine” down lounge, where attendees can connect with AGD2018 speakers in a more informal setting.
This year the AGD 2018 Scientific Session is sponsored by Crest Oral B, Dentist’s Advantage, Care Credit, Colgate, and Dentsply Sirona.