The Dr. June Warren Lee Dental Student Leadership Recognition Scholarship
Named in honor of a long-term national Academy of General Dentistry (AGD) and Region 1 leader, from Massachusetts, Dr. June Warren Lee.
Dr. Lee devoted her life in service to her profession. Numerous organizations have benefited over the past 40 years from her volunteerism but most especially, AGD’s Region 1 and the AGD nationally. Her range of expertise was unsurpassed beginning with memberships concurrently in the Academy of General Dentistry and the American Dental Association upon her graduation from Georgetown University School of Dentistry. Dr. Lee served in many capacities in many dental organizations reaching the pinnacle of her profession, becoming President of the American Association of Women Dentists. Her involvement in the AGD was equally impressive, holding every leadership position in the Massachusetts AGD, Regional Director for Region 1 and various AGD national councils including Dental Education and Scientific Meeting. Her vision of creation of a regional Mastertrack program for Region 1, the only one of its kind in the AGD, and the fortitude and persistence in its final creation over a two-year period is the reason the New England Mastertrack Program not only exists since 1990 but continues so strongly today. She accomplished this extremely well, serving as its first President and completing her Mastership in the AGD in the program’s first track. June’s selfless dedication, commitment to the ideals, values and mission of the Academy of General Dentistry—lifelong learning, integrity and ethical behavior, belief in the value of general dentistry – epitomizes her outstanding professional life. It is in her memory that Region 1 has created this award.
- Nominee must be a member dental student of the AGD Region 1 who will be a practicing general dentist
- Demonstrates professional dedication to the advancement of general dentistry
- Has made contributions that have furthered the mission and vision of the AGD
- Has been an innovator and leader in advancement of AGD and the dental profession
- Has exhibited selflessness in carrying out the goals of the AGD for the benefit of membership and the public that it serves
- Has served as a role model both ethically and professionally
- Has shown some level of participation or leadership in various functions—FellowTrack, local component involvement or AGD school chapter, etc.
Guidelines and Selection Process
- Nominations may only be submitted by an active AGD member
- The award will not be given to the same individual more than once; therefore, past recipients are ineligible
- A completed nomination form, letter of recommendation along with a copy of the nominee’s current curriculum vitae (CV), must be received by the Region 1 Secretary by November 30, 2021
- Other supporting documentation to substantiate the character of the nominee may also be submitted (testimonials, photos, newsletters, articles)
- It shall be the duty of the Awards Committee to act as the Screening Committee for all nominees
- Each committee member will independently evaluate and select the individual nominee most deserving of the award
- The Awards Committee will present its final selection to the Region 1 Caucus for review and approval
- If the nominees do not meet the criteria, the Awards Committee has the option to forgo recommending the June Warren Lee Dental Student Leadership Recognition Scholarship to the Caucus for that year
The June Warren Lee Dental Student Leadership Recognition Scholarship to be used toward attendance at the AGD Scientific Session, AGD Annual Meeting or the AGD Leadership Conference.