A Conference Experience Crafted for New Dentists
Calling all students, residents and new grads! If you are a student enrolled in dental school or a residency program, or a dentist who graduated within the last five years, AGD2024 has extra benefits tailored to your needs.
The New Dentist Lounge provides students, residents and new grads with a dedicated space to connect, learn and grow. Highlights of the lounge include:
- Dedicated CE Sessions
- Collaborative Workshops
- Mentorship Events
- Networking Opportunities
CE Courses and Social Events
Practical Laser Assisted Dentistry
Thursday, July 18 | 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.
Speaker: Bruce Cassis, DDS, MAGD
Sponsored by BIOLASE
As technology evolves and with the inception of AI there are new methods for performing dentistry in kinder and gentler means. We all want to employ tools that can help produce happy and satisfied patients. Incorporating laser technology and AI into your practice can help provide a gentler way to perform restorative dentistry and accomplish procedures that are comfortable, safe, and effective.
As an AGD Dentist we are all committed to lifelong learning. Dr. Cassis will discuss how and why it is imperative to incorporate a dental laser into your dental practice from the beginning. Dr. Cassis will review procedures that you can add to your practice to achieve a return on your technology investment.
- Demonstrate how and why to incorporate a dental laser into your dental practice.
- Describe procedures available with adding dental laser technology to your practice.
- Demonstrate a return on investment opportunity given new procedures available using laser technology.
Creating Experiences Worth Sharing
Thursday, July 18 | 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.
Speaker: Ryan Vet, MBA
Sponsored by CareCredit
The landscape in dentistry is drastically changing. It is more important than ever to stand out to your patients and create an experience worth sharing. In this course, attendees will explore ways to boost patient satisfaction with simple, easy-to-apply customer service and marketing strategies.
Additionally, attendees will explore effective communication and time management techniques for optimal patient satisfaction. With these tools, you will discover exciting ways to radically grow your patient base without breaking the bank.
- Create, implement and measure effectiveness of patient experience initiatives.
- Design, deploy and measure impact of cost-effective marketing campaigns.
- Define ways to optimize patient experience through effective communication.
New Age Caries Diagnosis
Thursday, July 18 | 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Speaker: John Graeber, DMD, MAGD, MALD, FICD
An up-to-Date clinician can no longer depend on simple conventional instrumentation for the diagnosis of Virgin Caries. Fluoride, better diet and home care have helped harden dental enamel so a dental explorer is virtually useless as a diagnostic instrument. It is more imperative than ever that diagnoses are supported with reproducible data. There are a number of advanced instruments which now allow a far more accurate assessment of suspicious lesions. They utilize HD Video Cameras, infrared light, laser fluorescence, electrical measurement and microscopy. This lecture will explain the clinical advantages of many of these devices with respect to Contemporary Caries Management.
- Appreciate the need for better diagnostic instrumentation.
- Understand the advantages and disadvantages of instruments currently on the market.
- Learn how early and more accurate diagnosis results in better dental care.
Career Panel: Starting Your Career in Dentistry
Friday, July 19 | 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
Moderator: Brian Novy, DDS, FICOI
On your journey towards becoming a dentist, there are many paths you can take after dental school. Do you know what the different career paths look like and which one is right for you? Join us for this interactive session where a diverse panel will share what their dental career paths looked like and what they learned along the way. Attendees will be able to ask questions to the panelists and gain a deeper understanding of what’s to come after graduating from dental school and beyond.
- Learn more about different career paths post-dental school.
- Discover the skills needed for early career development.
- Develop your own dental career goals.
Understanding Erosion and Wear
Friday, July 19 | 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.
Speaker: Melissa Seibert, DMD, MS
Sponsored by Crest + Oral-B
This one-hour course is designed for dentists seeking a focused exploration of dental wear and erosion. Participants will delve into the fundamental aspects of these conditions, gaining insights into their etiology, risk factors and diagnostic techniques. The session will cover practical strategies for preventive care, emphasizing the integration of this knowledge into everyday practice. Additionally, dentists will explore evidence-based approaches to the restorative management of dental wear, with a focus on preserving tooth structure. The course aims to provide a concise yet comprehensive overview, allowing dentists to enhance their understanding and apply practical skills in diagnosing and managing dental wear and erosion effectively.
- Refine diagnostic skills for identifying and differentiating dental wear and erosion.
- Gain insights into the causes and risk factors contributing to dental wear and erosion.
- Acquire actionable strategies to prevent dental wear and erosion, incorporating them into routine patient care.
- Review evidence-based restorative approaches and examine minimally invasive methods and appropriate material selection for managing dental wear.
Speed Mentorship Event
Friday, July 19 | 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Join us for a mentorship event in the New Dentist Lounge where you’ll have the chance to connect with distinguished AGD members and leaders in the field. This one-hour event is designed to engage students and new dentists with mentors who are knowledgeable in various topics of dentistry.
Student & New Dentist Reception
Friday, July 19 | 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Students, residents and new dentists are invited to attend the Student & New Dentist Lounge Reception. This exclusive reception is an opportunity to network with peers and AGD leaders. Recognition of the AGD Student Chapter of the Year and Faculty Advisor of the Year award recipients will be announced during the event.
Protecting Your License Against Common State Board Dentistry Matters
Saturday, July 20 | 9 a.m. to 10 a.m.
Speaker: Jennifer Flynn, CPHRM
Sponsored by Dentist’s Advantage
According to the National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB), since 2010, there have been more reported adverse actions against dentists annually in the U.S. as compared to medical malpractice reported payments. The presentation will highlight common dental license complaints seen in the Dentist’s Advantage/CNA program made to the State Board of Dentistry. This session will focus on the disciplinary process, the role of dental boards and the duties, and responsibilities and rights of dentists in the process.
- Understand the role, authority and mission of State Boards of Dentistry.
- Describe common dental license complaints made to the State Boards of Dentistry.
- Discuss possible outcomes of the disciplinary process, along with strategies to proactively protect your license.
STOP THE BLEED®
Saturday, July 20 |10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
Speakers: Eric Wong, DDS, MAGD and Michael Gordon, DDS, MAGD
STOP THE BLEED® is the result of a collaborative effort led by the American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma (ACS COT). This training course is designed to better prepare the public with basic actions to stop life threatening bleeding following everyday emergencies and man-made and natural disasters.
- How to use your hands to apply pressure to a wound.
- How to pack a wound to control bleeding.
- How to correctly apply a tourniquet.