In Michigan, SB 567 was approved by the Senate, and is currently pending to the House Tax Policy Committee. The bill seeks to eliminate sales and use taxes on dental prosthetics.
In June, 2017, the Michigan Department of Treasury revoked a 1985 Treasury ruling which, in providing specific definitions for various prosthetics, exempted dental prosthetics from sales and use taxes. Per the Treasury’s ruling, sales of dental prosthetics to dentists are subject to sales and use taxes as of June 1, 2017.
2017 Midlevel Provider Bill Summary
- Arizona: A sunrise application has been submitted by the Dental Care for Arizona Coalition. The application is being reviewed by a legislative committee, who will determine if it should be considered by the full legislature in the 2018 session.
- Connecticut: After a public hearing of the Joint Committee on Public Health on SB 40, no authorizing language for dental therapists was approved.
- Massachusetts: SD 1005 and H 2474 are currently pending in their respective chambers.
- Michigan: SB 541 passed the Senate, and is pending in the House. The MI AGD’s action alert on the issue can be viewed here.
- New Mexico: HB 264 failed to advance before the end of the 2017 session.
- North Dakota: HB 1256 failed on the House floor.
- Ohio: SB 98 is pending before the Committee on Health, Human Services, and Medicaid.
- Kansas: HB 2139 failed to advance before the end of the 2017 session.
- Washington: SB 5079 passed February 22, 2017, and allows dental health aide therapists to practice in tribal communities.
If you would like more information on legislative matters in your state, or are interested in carrying out advocacy on AGD issues, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the AGD’s Advocacy webpage.