The Academy of General Dentistry (AGD seeks a Staff Accountant. Under the direction of the Manager, Finance, the Staff Accountant performs accounting functions consistent with the goals and objectives of the association and in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles. Many assignments will be completed independently, while others will involve working with other team members. Assist with organization activities and special projects as directed.
Essential Job Functions
Support the Manager, Finance in the monthly close process:
- Prepare balance sheet reconciliations that clearly identify and resolve reconciling items.
- Prepares monthly journal entries and accounting corrections to ensure accurate accounting records; and reconciles general ledger to subsidiary ledgers.
- Assists in identifying and resolving accounting discrepancies and irregularities.
- Maintain the fixed assets module and prepare monthly fixed assets depreciation journal entry and reconcile.
- Review entries and make corrections as needed.
Support the timely and accurate reporting of financial information according to deadlines approved by the Manager, Finance and the Chief Financial Officer.
Prepare annual audit work papers and schedules as directed.
Provide support with the annual budget process.
Ensures financial records are maintained in compliance with accepted policies and procedures.
Assist with monthly and quarterly financial reporting and analysis both routine and non-routine.
Maintain AGD Foundation general ledger, prepare entries, generate monthly financial reports and reconcile AGDF bank account and all balance sheet accounts for review by the Manager, Finance.
Assist with routine accounting requirements, including general ledger maintenance, and subsidiary ledger maintenance and reconciliation.
Works with team members to analyze operations and identify opportunities to achieve greater efficiencies and internal control processes.
Team player and can collaborate with other teams in the organization.
Ability to mentor and cross-train staff.
Create reports in Management Reporter.
Develop/revise and periodically review procedures for systems under the direction of the Finance Manager and CFO and develop new or revised procedures each year.
Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- A minimum of five years of professional experience in accounting, preferably in an association or other not for profit environment.
- Must have experience with General Ledger software beyond Quickbooks.
- Advanced knowledge of Great Plains and FRx/Management Reporter experience preferred. Experience with iMIS a plus.
- Must be familiar with generally accepted accounting principles and have a firm understanding of accounting concepts.
- Must have experience reconciling complex accounts.
To apply, send your resume and a cover letter to our Human Resources team.
AGD is an equal opportunity employer.