DIRECTOR OF MEETINGS
Under the supervision of the Associate Executive Director, Public Affairs, the Director of Meetings is responsible for, development and execution of all conferences, meetings, and all live/in-person, virtual, and hybrid events for the AGD, including but not limited to: Scientific Session, Board, Executive Committee, Division Council Meeting, Annual Meeting/House of Delegates, Professional Relations Committee in conjunction with the American Dental Association Annual Meeting, and AGD Hill Day. The Director of will demonstrate strategic competencies, experience, and expertise in meetings/events innovations and technology; will utilize best practices to create a high-quality experience for attendees; and continually drive process and quality improvements. The Director will sustain professional, collaborative, and high-functioning relationships with all AGD departments. The Director assists with organizational activities and special projects as directed.
Essential Job Functions:
Business of Meetings
- Overall leadership responsibility for the successful execution of all AGD meetings, including the annual scientific session, exhibits, and all other AGD meetings and special events.
- Researches and directs the execution of best practices to improve meeting services for all AGD meetings and events. Positions the AGD for long-term viability and improves operational efficiencies.
- Leverages up-to-date knowledge of latest adult education delivery, hospitality industry and association trends to continuously add value and improve conference and event experiences for all AGD attendees and stakeholders.
- Ensures meetings are delivered in an innovative and competitive manner.
- Works with the Corporate Development Director to develop innovative opportunities to continuously improve exhibit revenue while also creating value for our attendees, exhibitors, and sponsors.
- Works in collaboration with the Director, Governance, to execute AGD governance meetings, including four (4) Board meetings and the House of Delegates (HOD).
- Demonstrates exemplary partnership qualities by working collaboratively with all AGD program leaders to deliver high quality events.
- Event project management by utilizing strong organizational skills including the ability to set and drive requirements across multiple functional areas.
- Partners with the Director, Marketing, to strengthen connection between the intended audience needs/expectations and event programming requirements with strong organizational branding.
- Brings creative direction to the mission and vision of the Meetings team and assists in achieving departmental and staff goals.
- Researches, evaluates, and manages the logistics of all AGD meetings, Benchmarks and measures meeting services and delivery programs and consolidates the meeting related purchasing for the AGD.
- Oversees and negotiates supplier relationships to include hotels, exhibitors, convention and visitors’ bureaus, housing company, general service contractors and destination management companies.
- Develops and manages meeting related AGD budgets and forecasts. Ensures meetings are executed in a fiscally responsible manner that result in a surplus for AGD.
- Negotiates contracts that are favorable to AGD.
- Serves as staff co-liaison to the Scientific Meeting Council to jointly plan the scientific meeting.
- Works in collaboration with the Executive Director and Scientific Meeting Council to identify and select future sites for the annual scientific session and as appropriate.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Management, Hospitality/Tourism, or a related field.
Credentials (years of experience): Seven to ten years of meeting and exhibition management experience within a professional association, not-for-profit, government or similar organization. Proven history of progressive meeting and convention leadership, healthcare or technology association experience preferred. Minimum of five years of experience managing a meeting planning department. CMP (Certified Meeting Professional) or other related certification strongly preferred. Knowledge of dentistry and dentists extremely helpful.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work in a fast paced, collaborative environment with high expectations for achieving and exceeding organizational goals.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to interact with all levels of staff, volunteers, hotel and convention center personnel, and other vendor partners with diplomacy and professionalism at all times.
- Strong customer service and negotiation skills.
- Understanding and ability to achieve balance between dominant stakeholder expectations and professional industry best management practices.
- Demonstrated experience creating engaging and interactive learning environment for conference attendees.
- Ability to think creatively and develop new ideas within budget guidelines.
- Familiarity with developing/producing large conferences (3,000+ attendees) in terms of site selection, contracting, budgeting, programming, marketing, logistics, and customer relations.
- Ability to innovate to and pivot, such as conference restructuring, identifying co-location opportunities, conference webinar rebroadcasts, and virtual meetings environments.
- Ability to meet deadlines, manage projects and personnel, set priorities, develop budgets, monitor, and control expenditures, and demonstrate a high degree of attention to detail.
- Some travel and work outside of normal work hours may be required.
If interested, please complete the Internal Application Form. The process and form for internal applicants can be found attached. All submissions are due, no later than Wednesday, November 24, 2021.
General Understanding and Nature of the Position Description: In Accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job classification. These statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills of personnel so classified.
AGD is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this position, please send your resume and a cover letter to our Human Resources (email@example.com) team.